The 10 Toughest Questions Families and Friends Ask About Addiction & Recovery Simple, straightforward, no-nonsense answers to the most often-asked questions. A valuable tool when you don't have time to wade through volumes of material.
Monthly Review: April 2013 In case you missed some of our latest posts from the month of April, 2013 —we’ve gathered them together again for you to enjoy. Thanks for being part of our Changing Lives Foundation Community. We hope you have a safe, relaxing Memorial Day Weekend. ASK JOE: Are some people beyond [...]
Take this Alcohol and Drug Addiction Self-Test for yourself, or for someone you love. Indicate your response to the following statements:
1. I've been told I drink too much. __Yes __No
2. Sometimes I hide my drinking or using from my family, my employer or law officers. __Yes __No
3. Some of my closest friends are recreational drinkers or users. __Yes __No
4. I use illegal substances, inhalants or non-prescribed doses of prescription drugs. __Yes __No
5. Sometimes I exceed the recommended dose of over-the-counter medications, such as diet pills, painkillers, sleep aids, laxatives or cold medicines. __Yes __No
6. I’ve promised to quit, but have broken that promise. __Yes __No
7. In the past year, I've done things I regret while I was drinking or using. __Yes __No
8. Drinking or using isn’t as much fun as it used to be. __Yes __No
9. My drinking or using has caused financial problems. __Yes __No
10. Sometimes I drink or use because I’m depressed or lonely. __Yes __No
11. My family history includes others with problems with alcohol or drugs. __Yes __No
12. Sometimes I drink or use to cope with difficult people or because I’m angry. __Yes __No
13. My drinking or using has caused problems in my closest relationships. __Yes __No
14. My drinking or using has caused problems with my health. __Yes __No
15. My drinking or using has caused problems at work or school. __Yes __No
16. My day revolves around daydreaming about getting, using and recuperating from drinking or using. __Yes __No
17. Sometimes I feel guilty for drinking or using. __Yes __No
18. When I have tried to quit, I experienced withdrawal effects. __Yes __No
19. I need to drink or use just to get going each day. __Yes __No
20. My life feels out of control due to my drinking or using. __Yes __No
Add up your totals and type them into the "Yes" and "No" boxes. (Your responses will NOT be sent anywhere, this is for your information only.)
Totals: Yes No
•If you answered “yes” in response to any of these Addiction Self-Tests statements, you are at risk for problems with drinking or using drugs. Talk to a counselor or group facilitator now to gain information to stop any tendency toward further problems.
•If you answered “yes” in response to 3 or more statements, you definitely have a problem with alcohol or drugs. Seek help from a counselor or support group immediately to get the help you need to repair the damage and get on the right track for your future.
•If you answered “yes” in response to 6 or more statements in these Addiction Self-Tests, you definitely abuse drugs or alcohol, and you may well be an addict. You need immediate and comprehensive help to turn your life around. It’s not too late. You need to see a physician and a drug and alcohol counselor, and you may need to be admitted to a treatment facility.
If someone in your family is violent, threatening to become violent, suicidal, missing or acting in ways that are out-of-control, call 911 to reach your local police or emergency medical services. For chronic problems, contact your doctor or social services in your communit